La Poderina - Brunello di Montalcino 2010
La Poderina - Brunello di Montalcino 2010 (88 TSW)
This Brunello di Montalcino La Poderina was born in the cellars of Fattoria del Cerro, in the province of Siena.
The wine is made from pure Sangiovese grapes, harvested and selected by hand. 60% of the product, obtained by maceration, evolves in large Slavonian oak barrels, while the remaining 40% continues to rise in barrique for the first twelve months. After assembly, another 12 months follow in large Slavonian oak barrels, and after a short passage in steel it is aged in the bottle for a year and a half.
My tasting notes:
In the glass a deep ruby red color with little brownish rim.
On the medium(+) nose aromas of plums, cherry compote and blackberry jam with hints of forest floor, cedar, mushrooms and espresso.
On the palate dry, medium bodied with medium acidity and tannins. Flavours are in the tertiary corner with a medium length finish. A bit disappointing. I expected more fireworks for a 2010 vintage. Drink now.
To pair with hearty dishes such as grilled red meat, roasts and game, and can also be combined with well-aged cheeses
La Poderina is located in Montalcino in the Castelnuovo dell’Abate region, an area known for its particularly elegant and balanced wines. The philosophy of this winery is to combine innovative technology with great respect for nature.
In the vineyard they work with consistently low yields, in the cellar only traditional Slovenian oak barrels and new barriques are used. As an oenologist, the first is not the best in the winery: the famous Riccardo Cotarella.
The estate covers a total of 49 hectares, of which there are 10.5 Brunello di Montalcino, 3.0 Rosso di Montalcino, 4.5 Moscadello di Montalcino and 5.8 in the DOC Sant ’Antimo.
There are 2.5 hectares of olive trees and the remainder is wooded. The soil consists of clayey marl, the average height of the vineyards is 350 m. The planting density is 3,300 vines per hectare in the old vineyards and 5,000 in the new ones.