Banfi - Brunello di Montalcino 2010
Banfi - Brunello di Montalcino 2010 (90 tsomw points)
Yes. Friday Sangiovese day. This was last Friday because I am right now visiting the Alentejo region.
Banfi is one of the top domains in the Italian region of Tuscany. The vineyards are for the most part in the municipality of Montalcino, known from the Brunello wines. In 1978 the winery was created from a project.
The domain, which is owned by the Mariani family, has invested around 200 million dollars in Castello Banfi. The surface area is about 3000 ha, of which about 850 ha. vineyard. Together these vineyards account for around 600,000 bottles per year, of which 40% are sold in Italy. The remaining 60% is sold worldwide in 80 countries.
My tasting notes
In the glass a dark ruby red color with nice brownish rim.
On the nose delicate aromas of prunes, cherries, blackberries and licorice with earthy and vanilla notes.
On the palate dry, well balanced with fine grained tannins. Flavours of prunes, vanilla, chocolate and tobacco. Fine long aftertaste with hints of herbs.