Sanct Valantin Chardonnay 2013
St. Michael-Eppan - Sanct Valantin Chardonnay 2013 (89 tsomw points)
Cantina St. Michael-Eppan celebrated a hundred and ten years in 2017 and is a benchmark for every wine lover. The Cantina has made a crucial contribution in achieving the high status of Alto Adige wines over the last 20 years. Winemaker Hans Terzer is the "kellermeister" with unprecedented technical skills, who for 40 years translates intuition and knowledge of the hinterland into a range of wines that combines unprecedented quality with character.
The wines of St. Michael-Eppan are divided over three lines: Classico, Selezione and Sanct Valentin. White wines make up 70% of production, the other 30% are red. The local grape schiava occupies the most important place among the red wine, besides pinot noir, lagrein, merlot and cabernet sauvignon. Among the white wines the pinot blanc (weissburgunder) plays an important role, besides sauvignon blanc, gewürztraminer, chardonnay and pinot gris.
All wines are characterized by a great freshness, in which the pure, cool mountain climate of South Tyrol is easy to taste. Winemaker Hans Terzer has succeeded very well in giving all individual wines their own identity. Sant Valentin is made 30 years ago and is in a special bottle for the occasion of this anniversary.
One half of this Chardonnay carries in barrique-tonneaux the alcoholic and malolactic fermentations and a maceration on the yeasts. The remaining part is vinified in large oak barrels. After just under a year the two wines are assembled and mature together for another 6 months in steel containers.
In the glass a deep yellow color.
On the nose delicate aromas of yellow apple, citrus, pineapple and hints of anise, vanilla, butter and oak.
On the palate full-bodied with round mouthfeel showing butter, peach, citrus and roasted notes but also with nice acidity and freshness. The finish is light buttery and with some bitterness. Top white from one of my fave regions.