Tokaji Eszencia 2005
Ever tasted this godly nectar from Hungary?? I don’t know how to tell you about this wine but this Disznoko Tokaji Escenzia 2005 is great (89/100 tsomw points)
In the glass a deep amber colour, thick, with fat tears.
In the nose sweet honey, apricot, plums, orange peel, figs and tea leafs.
On the palate intense flavours, complex. Very concentrated nectar with incredible length with a dash of exiting acidity.
With the vivacious acidity balancing the sweetness, Disznók? Tokaji Aszú 5 puttonyos can be enjoyed alone, but also with a wide range of dishes.
Our favourite moments
- Chilled, as a refreshing aperitif.
- On its own, instead of dessert, at the end of the meal.
- Sunday morning wine – savouring during cooking and tasting along the way with the various ingredients and at different stages – and when we sit down to feast.
Our favourite pairings
- Aperitif: served with canapés. Accompanying pâtés, foie gras.
- Main: poultry, white meat with creamy sauces. Mushroom or seafood risotto . East Asian, slightly spicy dishes such as Thai green curry chicken. Dim sum.
- Cheese: younger and not too salty blue cheese.
- Dessert: simply with some fruits (apricot, pears or fruit salads) or with a fruit-based dessert (e.g. apricot tart, fruit cake, mandarin sorbet).
Serving advice: Ready to drink but with an important ageing potential (for 20 years or more).
To enjoy the finest nuances, Disznóko Tokaji Aszú 5 puttonyos is best served cool (11-13°C). After opening, it retains its freshness for at least a week in the fridge.